Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Baby This Week | 26 Weeks


Baby is the size of a head of lettuce, or just an actual head lol!  I can't believe I have something that big inside of me, its crazy! Baby's eyelids separate and the eyes are starting to open. Lungs are beginning to develop surfactant, which allows them to inflate. Baby has begun to sleep for longer periods as well.  Little one is about 14 inches in length and weights almost 2 pounds.This week marks a major milestone in baby's hearing and sight. Little one's hearing system (cochlea and peripheral sensory end organs), which began fine development during week eighteen, is now completely formed, and over the next few weeks, he or she become increasingly sensitive to sound. Very soon, I'll be able to feel him or her jump if they hear a sudden loud noise. Sound passes easily into m uterus, which helps the ears develop. Her eyes are almost fully formed, although they are blue, because a baby's eyes don't get their final color until a few months after they are born. The air sacs of the lungs, called alveoli, will be developed by the end of this week and will begin to secrete a substance called surfactant that keeps the lung tissue from sticking together. 

Baby's lungs continue to develop, and she is taking small breaths of amniotic fluid inside your womb. These small breaths are getting little one in shape for their first breath of fresh air.  Veins are visible through baby's transparent skin, but soon that will change, as it begins to turn opaque. If baby is a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.
Baby – Can we say super duper active!  I literally think that this kid is awake 24 hours even though they say the baby sleeps majority of the time.  I can tell baby has gotten bigger and stronger by its movements.  Sometimes they even startled me because they can be a little intense.  Baby definitely seems to be a lot more responsive to touch and noise, more to touch most recently.  Little one likes to hang out all over the place and I can’t quite decipher whether he or she is head up or down.  Sometimes I feel movement way down low and other times I feel it pretty high up.

Me – Sitting in an up-right position for long periods of time is uncomfortable.  I’ve put on about a pound from last, and the belly is getting bigger by the day.  No swelling, pre-term labors signs, or other crazy stuff going on, thank goodness!  Sleeping on the other hand can be a feat, and not because I still get up throughout the night to use the restroom.  It’s because my belly is getting bigger and I’m having to figure how to adjust to it.  I’m seriously going to start putting a pillow down and having that next to my belly while I sleep.  I have also noticed that I’ve gotten heavier, or rather my belly has so turning over and even standing up from laying down can be challenging at times.


Hubs – As usual he is doing good.  I think the baby shower made the baby a little more real to him and he’s even more excited.  I really think he would like for baby to come out and automatically be 3 or 4 years old so he can play with baby, go places, and dress him or her up to look like him.  Hubs is working more, so he’s not home at night much, but always calls to check on me and baby and make sure we’re okay.  He’s on dinner duty for the next two nights, so I know we’ll be getting some good grubbin’!

Until next week folks…

Happy bumping!

xxoo,
Tenns

4 comments :

  1. I found your blog through the blog hop and can not wait to see more about your pregnancy and meet your new little one.

    Kelly @ theadventuresofthekeitzerfamily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My goodness it's going so quickly ... so not long to go now. Hope the 24 hour wriggler lets you get some rest, Alice @ Mums Make Lists xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you it really is! I'm already coming up on 28 weeks and before I know it I'll be 30 weeks. Time is really flying by, but I'm loving it!

      This baby is a lot like me, except that it seems to now be a morning person, lol! I think I'm in store for a pretty interesting character here! My husband & I are totally prepared for a super active baby and child...in other words, no rest! :-)

      Delete

I try my best to respond to all comments. However, if you are a no-reply commenter you will not receive a reply. Please check your settings, change them so that you are able to be replied to, or contact via another means. I can be reached via email and social media. You can utilize the icons at the top of my blog.

xxoo,

Tenns

 photo AboutMeSection.png
My Photo
Full-time Marine, wife, jewelry designer, and blogger. Creating is what I love and its what I do.