Monday, July 15, 2013

Thoughts from a preggo | Body Image & Missing Myself

Thoughts of a PreggoI don't know how many of my readers have been through pregnancy and seen their body change and had to adjust, but it really doesn't matter, because I think body image is applicable to everyone.  Before becoming pregnant, I never thought about my body.  Even as I've aged, its never ever been an issue.  I've had the same body since I was a teenager, outside of getting taller and a few places becoming slightly more developed.  Pregnancy is the most drastic change I have ever seen my body make.  I think pregnancy is beautiful, always have.  Every time I see a pregnant woman, I think 'aww...look at her bump, its so cute!'  I never thought about what that woman may be going through seeing her body change.  I never thought about what I would think about my body while being pregnant.  I love being pregnant and most days I think my bump is really cute and awesome, in part because I know a baby is growing in there.  However, it doesn't change the fact that sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and have to do a double take.  I had a six-pack of abs before becoming pregnant, always have, a relatively small bum, which is now a full on stripper booty, and my thighs, well I actually have some cellulite on them.  Now, I am pushing 30, 27 to be exact, so I realize that I won't have an 18 year old body forever.  I am more than willing to give up my body for this baby and any future babies that I will have.  Its not that big of a deal to me superficially speaking, but it is still an adjustment. 

I have to admit I don't feel as sexy, I don't move as fast, and I'm definitely not able to turn cartwheels, ride zip lines, and go on rollercoasters right now.  Of course, its common sense, silly me: I'm pregnant!  That's not to say I don't miss all that stuff.  I also put so much pressure on myself to do the right thing all the time while being pregnant.  I am doing everything with in my power to bring this baby into the world normal, healthy, and safely.  This means working through my still apparent food aversions and lack of appetite, and eating when I have and need to, versus when I want to.  It also means tossing and turning all night and getting up throughout the night to use the restroom at least once, and any other time I need to go.  Now, I can deal with all that, really, I can, because the end result is so miraculous and such a blessing.  My husband doesn't understand why I put so much pressure on myself, and he probably won't ever.  Its the perfectionist in me that makes me want to have all my ducks in a row at all times.  I put in the immense effort, because I expect good results.  I know nothing good comes easy in life, or at least most things.

Have you ever felt this way?  Missed your old self?  Have to adjust to your self or a new way of life? 
I know I'm not alone!

Until next time!

xxoo,

Tenns

6 comments :

  1. I understand how you feel. There is a HUGE difference when you become pregnant. You just need to love your self!

    Returned love from:
    http://roselsmomdiary.blogspot.com
    #SitsSharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is and I totally wasn't prepared for it! I honestly never thought about it before becoming pregnant, and as I've advanced in my pregnancy its gotten easier to accept it more and more. At first it was kinda like a bad haircut, you just gotta wait until you grow out of it. I was in that stage where I didn't even look pregnant for a long time, and I just felt big. I think that's when I felt the least confident.

      Now, I'm in full fledged pregnant glory and am really embracing it!

      Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, taking the time to read my post, and stopping by.

      ~Tenn

      Delete
  2. I just turned 41 and am eight and a half months pregnant with a surprise baby. I was really worried about what would happen to my body when I first found out, but to my delight, I have loved every minute of it--and so has my husband. My only frustration is this past week, I've been getting tired very easily, which isn't like me. It seems I get tired from doing hardly anything. My kids keep reminding me that I'm making a person and that's doing plenty. Even still, it's hard for me to accept not feeling as energetic, but I don't have long before I get it back...and from what I remember, I'm going to need it!

    I hope you keep loving your body as your baby grows within it. It's doing something amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, you are a real trooper! Congrats on your baby, such an exciting time and blessing! Its so nice to hear such kind thoughts and know I'm not alone. Having a supportive husband/spouse is key, and like you, I'm thankful and fortunate to have one. I can totally relate to you on being tired from barely doing anything. That's the one thing that has really taken me by storm while pregnant, because non-pregnant me is super high energy. I know it will all come back, so I'm looking forward to meeting my little guy or girl, and getting myself back. I love being pregnant though and I will continue to love myself, all parts, as they grow and change.

      Thanks again for sharing your kind thoughts! :-)

      ~Tenns

      Delete
  3. Oh I totally get what you are saying! I just had my fourth. I do not think I have arrived at adjusting to all the changes that happen to my body while pregnant. I can honestly say the end result it worth it. You will forget all about your pregnancy woes when the baby comes. So much that you will be willing to do it all over again!

    Melanie@getahoot.com
    #SitsSharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Melanie congratulations on your baby, so exciting! Thanks for your reassuring words. Even though I know the end result is worth, its still so nice to hear it. I'm in the hoe stretch, so everything is a really becoming even more of a reality. I'm so excited to meet this baby and at the end of the day, I'm most focused and excited about that.

      Might be a while before #2 comes, but I'm definitely willing to do it all over again...one day, in like 2 years, lol!

      ~Tenns

      Delete

I try my best to respond to all comments. However, if you are a no-reply commenter you will not receive a reply. Please check your settings, change them so that you are able to be replied to, or contact via another means. I can be reached via email and social media. You can utilize the icons at the top of my blog.

xxoo,

Tenns

 photo AboutMeSection.png
My Photo
Full-time Marine, wife, jewelry designer, and blogger. Creating is what I love and its what I do.