Monday, May 20, 2013

Pregnancy Belly | Protein

I have the most trouble, or so I think intaking protein, I decided to do some research to assure and hold myself accountable.  Below is what I found on BabyCenter.com as far as recommended protein sources for the 70 grams that us preggos need daily.

Here are some good protein sources:

Dairy
•1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese: 14 g
•1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese: 14 g
•8 ounce container low-fat yogurt: 9 to 12 g
•1 ounce Parmesan cheese: 11 g
•1 ounce Swiss cheese: 8 g
•1 cup skim milk: 8 g
•1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese: 7 g
•1 ounce cheddar cheese: 7 g
•1 large fresh egg: 6 g

Beans, nuts, legumes
•1/2 cup raw tofu (firm): 20 g
•1 cup cooked lentils: 18 g
•1 cup canned black beans: 15 g
•1 cup canned kidney beans: 13 g
•1 cup canned garbanzos: 12 g
•1 cup canned pinto beans: 12 g
•2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter: 8 g
•1 ounce dry roasted peanuts: 7 g
•1 cup light plain soymilk: 6 g

Meat, poultry and fish
Note that 3 ounces of meat or fish is about the size of a pack of cards.
•1/2 roasted chicken breast (no skin): 27 g
•3 ounces sockeye salmon: 23 g
•3 ounces trout: 23 g
•3 ounce lean beef hamburger patty, broiled: 21g

Looking at this list, it looks like it only I eat cottage cheese, salmon, and tofu, that I'd be good to go.  Of course I don't care for any of those foods, well except for the salmon, which I will occasionally eat.  The website suggested aiming for an average on a weekly basis, which means that gives us protein-aversion gals some wiggle room.  I have always liked meat, but never been a huge eater of it.  I feel lots of pressure to eat meats and high protein foods now that I'm pregnant and it’s a little stressing at times.  It's not like before when I never thought about it and meats were just a nature part of my diet.  Not liking meats very much was something that has completely thrown me for a loop while being pregnant.  I like pretty much everything I liked beforehand, except meats.  I do enjoy seafood, such as crabs, lobster, and shrimp, but I know you should limit those while pregnant.  It's like if its healthy and I'm supposed to be eating it, my body is like 'nope...not gonna do it'.

Anyhow, diligence and moderation is key, so I'll keep at, because I know it's best for baby.

Happy Bumping!

xxoo,

Tenns

No comments :

Post a Comment

I try my best to respond to all comments. However, if you are a no-reply commenter you will not receive a reply. Please check your settings, change them so that you are able to be replied to, or contact via another means. I can be reached via email and social media. You can utilize the icons at the top of my blog.

xxoo,

Tenns

 photo AboutMeSection.png
My Photo
Full-time Marine, wife, jewelry designer, and blogger. Creating is what I love and its what I do.