Friday, May 31, 2013

Pregnancy Knowledge | Skincare...fun in the sun.

image
Skincare is extremely important while pregnant, especially during this time of the year when the sun is bright in the sky.  Due to the hormones surging through the body during pregnancy, it makes skin much more susceptible to harm.  Although my skin is of a deeper complexion, I still burn, especially on my back, shoulders, and nose.  No one is exempt from the sun's damage to skin, so diligence is key.  Yesterday at my 20 week appointment my PA told me that there is an increased chance to develop brown spots during pregnancy because of the increased hormones in the body.  That means its that much more important to wear sunscreen and limit time in the sun.  Now, don't get me wrong I love the summer, the sun, and the hot weather, but fortunately I work inside all day long at my job, so I don't have to worry as much as someone whose job or lifestyle gives them more exposure.  However, I do love the beach and it will be even more vital that I slather sunscreen all over, especially on my bump this year. 
Important things to remember about sunscreen while pregnant is:
  • Level of sunscreen you need for your skin type.  Typically 30 is good across the board, but if you are pale or ivory you may need a higher number.
image
  • The type of swimsuit or summer clothing you are wearing.  Now I know we all like to show off those bumps, but it may be best to not have it exposed to long periods of time.
image
  • How long you're in the sun.  This is important, because you will need to continuously reapply throughout the day if you are spending a long time outside.  These even applies on cloudy days.  Another note, it is easy to get dehydrated while out in the sun, so hydration is key for your insides and outsides.
  • Don't forget your hands and feet.  This may seem like common sense, since you are using your hands to apply the lotion, but someone could very well be doing it for you and you miss both, and they burn too and can get harmed.
  • Also, don't forget your ears...and eyes!  Of course you can't put sunscreen in your eyes, but make sure you have a nice pair of UVA/UBA block sunglasses.  Pregnancy can do a number on the eyes, from affecting vision to drying them out, and combo'd with the sun...its not a nice feeling.  When it comes to ears, well its easy to get the face, but the ears could easily get forgotten.  Make sure you apply sunscreen to them as well.

image
  • If you have a daily moisturizer, its best to have one that contains an SPF.  I use the Aveeno Daily Essentials, which has SPF 30 in it.  Many foundations and BB creams on the market also have SPF in them, so its easy to ensure that the face in covered.
image
  • Lips...now mines don't do very well with SPF laden chapstick, but this might be an option for you.  I will have to trial and error a few, but in the past they have dried out and chapped my lips.  I do know that Maybelline's Baby Lips has SPF in it, so I might try that out, because the traditional chapsticks just don't work for me.
image
I think I've covered all the bases, but this is not by any means an all inclusive list.  Use your own discretion and even that of your medical professional went it comes to skincare if need be.  We all have different skin types and the ways to cater to them might be different, but most importantly the end result is that we our skin healthy and unharmed.

Happy Bumping!

xxoo,

Tenns
                                                                                                                                                                                                       


No comments :

Post a Comment

I try my best to respond to all comments. However, if you are a no-reply commenter you will not receive a reply. Please check your settings, change them so that you are able to be replied to, or contact via another means. I can be reached via email and social media. You can utilize the icons at the top of my blog.

xxoo,

Tenns

 photo AboutMeSection.png
My Photo
Full-time Marine, wife, jewelry designer, and blogger. Creating is what I love and its what I do.